Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring at the Zoo

On Friday, I went to the zoo with my friend Michelle and her two oldest kiddos. It was a BEAUTIFUL day... nobody could ask for anything better. Everyone else in the town of Columbus decided to go to the zoo also. It was PACKED. The zoo has a new baby elephant (like 3 weeks old) The line to see him was over an hour long. Michelle and I didn't think that the kids would appreciate waiting in a line that long.... so we passed on seeing him.

All the animals were pretty happy on Friday. The flamingos were a little sassy. The kids were enjoying watching their interactions.

(Flamingo watching)


One of the attractions at the zoo is a beautiful carousel. The older kids love riding on it. Maggie in the past has been terrified of it, but much to my delight she wanted to willingly go on the ride. She chose the horse that was the lowest down and was sitting happily on it -- That is, until the ride started. Once her horse started lowering and going back up she freaked out and was not happy at all.

Alli Loved it.

Usually taking pictures of things helps Maggie become happy again, but even doing self portraits together wasn't doing the trick. Bummer. Maybe we'll just have to wait until she's a bit older to try the carousel again.


At the Columbus Zoo they have a kangaroo walk through. There is nothing but a little roped off path keeping you from touching these cute little guys. Too bad they were all a bit sleepy. I thought that this kangaroo on the ground looked either plastered or dead. You decide which.

Maggie loved looking at this Komodo Dragon.

I love spring. Beautiful flowering trees are the best.
*Maggie kept saying "Mom, no take picture purple flower. Take picture Monkey!"
(This was near the orangutans)


I know this isn't too exciting, but at the fountain/pond at the beginning of the zoo there were some HUGE Coi fish. They were longer than Maggie. I couldn't get a good picture of them, as the water was thicker than pudding. Poor animals trying to swim in that stuff!


We saw this cute little baby duck/goose swimming around by himself. I have no idea what this Canadian goose was thinking as he was swimming towards this baby. There are a few possibilities. No worries about the little guy's safety, the goose left him alone within a minute or two.

We really enjoy the zoo here. I am so glad that we have passes so we can go anytime we want. I think if we ever move back home (like we eventually want to) it'll be hard not having such great entertainment close by. Maybe I'll just have to start a zoo in Idaho.... get some deer, cows, goats, chickens, lawn flamingo, cougar.... and ta-da... you have a zoo.

2 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Okay.....were you following me last week?? :) The park on Thursday, the zoo on Friday! We were there too! :) (and I managed it without losing a two year old!:)ha!)

Ya, we have passes too and I LOVE to go frequently. My kids so wanted to see the baby elephant too, but we passed it by as well as soon as we saw the line.... I figure he will still be a "baby" next time we go in a month or whatever and the excitement dies down...

Summer said...

We did the zoo Thursday but I didn't bring my camera. :(

But we're going again this Thursday, so hopefully I'll still be in the mood to shoot things. We're going for the express purpose of seeing the baby elephant, so I'm hoping the line isn't TOO huge... we'll have six kids in tow- yikes.

At least you got a shot of Maggie's fleeting carousel happiness. ;)