Wednesday, April 22, 2009

If you follow, Blessings will come.

Last week was spring break for Alli. We did have a lot of fun having her home. From COSI, to the Zoo, to the park, and everywhere in between... we were pretty busy, even though it rained quite a lot too. At first I was really nervous about having Alli home full-time (lame, I know).

Once Alli started going to school, her and Maggie started getting along quite famously during the week. But, every time Alli has had a long weekend, or stayed home from illness, basically anytime they were together for more than the weekend..... they were at EACH OTHER'S THROATS! I really didn't want a whole week of yelling "Don't touch my stuff!". (What Alli doesn't know, is that while she's at school Maggie and I play with ALL of her stuff! ..insert evil laugh here...)

Chip and I have been having conversations together about our daughters behaviors towards each other. We decided a few weeks ago that one thing we could change was to step up our FHE's (Family Home Evening). We have been doing FHE together, except it was just like a family movie night. No real gospel discussions or teaching our kids principles that we want to instill in their lives. After this change took place, we've seen remarkable change in our girls. Sure, they still get at each other, but it's so mild compared to what was happening. They are starting to use better manners, we are having great discussions with the kids about doctrine, and the girls are playing better together too.

I am so thankful for the council that our Prophets have given us about having Family Home Evening with our families. I have seen wonderful blessings happen to our family in just a short amount of time. I can't wait for the future, just to see how much better our family improves.

I think that I might even be able to handle both girls at home for Summer Break. We'll see. (It's a lot longer than just a week.)

4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

That is a really great lesson...how awesome to see that change in your lives. And just think...if summer break gets to long, you always have a 2 hour getaway. :) We would love to see you!

Summer said...

Good for you guys! (Loved the evil laugh- if Ally only knew...) I'm excited for our kids to "get" FHE. Right now it's pretty lame at our house. Which is sad, cuz we've got tons of great ideas and materials. Mia's just starting to get it. We're still having trouble distinguishing every other prophet with a beard from Jesus...

Amanda B. said...

Very interesting observation! That is great! :)

Whipple's said...

That is wonderful that you are trying to implement that positive environment for your girls....We try to do different activities for that particular night, but sometimes it gets missed or overlooked and well our week does not go so well. Have fun