Wednesday, April 29, 2009

On Parenting

Some people believe that they need to be their child's best friend in order to be a good parent.
Other people believe that they need to strictly be a parental authority to a youngster in order to help said youngster to grow into a productive member of society.
I believe that neither of those options are correct.
I think everyone should be your child's oldest sibling.

(As the youngest child in my family I have no prior experience to being the oldest sibling, so this is just coming from what I observed from my brother growing up.)

As the older sibling your responsibilities include the following:

*Never letting your younger siblings get a 'free pass'.
If you see a younger sibling doing something that they shouldn't be, you must immediately rat them out. Nothing gets past you. You make sure to embellish everything to the max, so that the maximum punishment will apply. If your parents are not around to hand out punishments, your responsibility is to inflict immediate punishment to your sibling. (Usually something deemed cruel and unusual.) Your younger sibling will eventually stop making behavioral mistakes, so they won't get punished.

*Using a younger sibling as your slave.
If you don't feel like doing something, make your younger sibling do the work. This is good for homework, chores, or anything else that you find appropriate at the moment. It's entirely up to your whims. This makes them submissive and easy to mold.

*Tease your sibling mercilessly.
Not only does this help with the entertainment factor, but it also makes sure that your sibling is in check with the natural line of authority. Bigger always wins.
Down the line it might even give them a witty personality and they might eventually develop a sense of humor.

*When in doubt: blame your sibling.
Not only do you get to boss around your youngest siblings, but you get to make sure they get blamed for everything. You broke the lamp and don't want to own up for it? It's a good thing your youngest sister is a bit of a klutz. You can just blame her, and your parents will believe it! This teaches children that there is always another scape goat. This will help them out in corporate life.


As a younger sibling you quickly learn:

*submission.
You must always submit to the older authority.

*to always keep trying to move up the ladder.
You're constantly trying to outdo yourself to shine brighter than your older sibling.

*to always having proof.
In order not to get further whoops from your parents, you learn quickly to C.Y.A.

*the art of flattery.
You will always be the best at brown nosing. If you are struggling to achieve a certain position that you want, you can always flatter your way to the top. After all, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.


As you can see, if you treat your children the same way as an older sibling would, your child will thrive as a successful adult. They will always strive for success; they learn quickly and easily; they ask questions about the world around them and try to solve problems; they will also learn to read people and know what they want.

Follow my method, and your kids will most assuredly become successful, useful, and valued members of society.

9 comments:

Marsie Pants said...

Cool! I'm SO already following this plan! Thanks, Breezi!

Amanda B. said...

I can attest to the truthfulness! I was the oldest sibling (well, I had an older brother, but there were issues, so I was the responsible older one). That's how I treated my siblings! :)

The Hoogland Family said...

So are you thankful or bitter for the torture Scott put you through?

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

I'm thankful for the torture that Scott put me through. It made me a well rounded adult :) And I'm quite witty because of it.

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

This is fabulous! Do you mind if I borrow part of it to share with my readers? (of course I'll link back to you to give credit where credit is due). You are absolutely hilarious!

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

Sure Dorese, I've never been quoted before! That's awesome! :)

Summer said...

Ha ha! So true! But you left out the Prozac! ;D

My2Gs said...

Hi, I found your blog today from the Fedjit Widget. Just wanted to pop in and say hi to a fellow Ohio gal :-)

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness...you're hilarious! What's even more funny...you're right!

Great advice!