Monday, April 27, 2009

The Cell PhoneTragedies

I fought owning a cell phone. I really did.

My first one my employers insisted that I had, I was a nanny, and they needed to be able to get a hold of me.
I got my 2nd cell phone, because my grandma bought it for me. (shout out to grandma Bonnie!) I was newly married (dirt poor), and newly pregnant, and I was driving from Philly to Wilmington, DE weekly to do my laundry at my grandma's house. She didn't want anything to happen to me on my drives, so she bought me a cell phone and paid the bill too. (bless her huh?) That phone was a beast. It was awesome on so many levels. If you sat wrong and the phone was in your pocket, you'd be calling someone random.
I kept that same cell phone until about 2 years ago, when it stopped holding a charge, the antenna was broken off, and I was starting to get fuzzy calls. I would have kept it if I was able to get a new battery, but alas, it was so old that hey didn't have a battery to replace it with.
Thus enter cell phone #3. She was a beaut. A nice fold up model, with a camera and everything! Not as sturdy as #2, but she did the job. Unfortunately Maggie loved cell phone #3, and by giving it loves one to many times, it started to glitch. Fortunately it was under warranty, and It got replaced for free. #3 was great and she lasted a good long while, until her battery also stopped holding a charge. I went into Verizon to get a new battery. They said that I could either pay $50 for a new battery and keep my phone, or pay $30 for a brand new phone by re-signing my contract. I got a new phone. A pretty blue LG Chocolate. #4 (we'll call her LG) was slim, fabulous, and had all sorts of fancy features that I couldn't figure out. I don't text, I don't play music on my phone, I just call. Period. LG was doing great until last Tuesday she took a terrible fall into the washer. I had no idea that my poor LG was fighting for her life. I took the clothes out of the washer, and put them in the dryer. I heard a 'clank, clank' from the dryer, but I just thought it was some big metal buttons on pants. When I opened my dryer door and saw LG laying there on top of the lint try, battered, bruised, battery strewn aside, my heart just broke for her. I cradled her in my arms. I tried to make her work, but she just didn't have any life left in her. Poor girl.
Chip said that he might be able to use some magic and fix her, but we'd have to let her dry out for a while.
A few days came and went, LG never came back to life. I was talking to my awesome tech-savvy co-workers and one of the guys said that there is a store in Columbus that just sells batteries. All batteries. Cheap. I still had my old phone and thought... why heck! I could just buy a new battery at this place for $20 and transfer my service to it again. I only got LG because it was cheaper to. I was also excited that #3 still had all my contacts in it... so that was a win/win!
On Friday, I dug out #3, smiled at her as she glistened in the sunlight, and off we headed to the battery store. The battery process went fine and dandy, next stop... Verizon.
As I entered into the Verizon store, I noticed that they had a little wait, so I asked to use their restrooms. Everything went fine in there. Went potty, stood up to zip my jeans, and I hear "PLUNK". I thought it was something that Maggie might have dropped into the toilet, but nope..... #3 had fallen from my pocket into the toilet. My heart got flushed down the toilet, right along with my tinkle. I could NOT believe that this was happening to me! I almost had my cell phone problem solved... cheaply!. With my head hung low, I exited the bathroom, dead cell phone in my hand (They have Clorox wipes in the bathroom... so the phone was tinkle free). I went up to the service desk and told them my story of woes. I just so happened to bring LG along with me. The service rep asked to see LG. He gave me a smile and a wink and said a few words that just made me swoon "Since your LG is still under warranty, I'm just going to send it back to the factory saying that it was a defect. All you'll need to do for your new phone is buy a battery to replace LG's". Heart, be still. I was melting with service rep lust when he said that the battery to LG was just $40, after tax. He also said some words that were very sad "We don't have any batteries or cell phones in stock. We'll have to mail it to you." He gave me instructions that within 10 days of getting my new cell phone in the mail, I was going to have to send back LG to the manufacturer. I could deal with that, but I needed to ask a question first. "So, just knowing how my cell phone luck has been recently, What would happen if say.... a Mac Truck somehow ran over LG and smashed it into tiny pieces, and that is how I sent it back??" He just smiled at me and said "All bets on your warranty are off, and you'll be looking at paying retail over $300 for the new phone".
As soon as I got into the car, I put both of my dead cell phones in my locked jockey box. "Let's see a Mac truck try and run over it now," I smirked.

*sigh* I'm still waiting for my new LG to come in the mail. It's been dreadful not having a phone for a week now. My cell phone is my alarm clock. It's my safety line to the world. It's my long distance phone service.

I also asked the service rep if there was some way of transferring all the my contacts on my old phone onto the new one. He said that you'd have to be able to turn on the old phone in order to do that. Sad day. I haven't written down any of my contact's numbers... they were only in my phone. If you want me to have your contact info in my phone so I can call you any time I wish... please e-mail it to me (breezianne81@hotmail.com)... or don't expect a call anytime soon.

4 comments:

Amanda B. said...

This made me laugh out loud. Oh, so funny. Thank for sharing! :) ha ha ha. :)

The Hoogland Family said...

Breezi you poor, poor thing...what a saga! It is crazy how dependant we are on our cell phones. Good thing you still have a land line right?

Whipple's said...

Wow sounds like your having a rough week. I hope all turns out well. I treasure my cellphone, and would be lost without it considering I don't even have a land line. After reading this tale of yours makes me think seriously about getting one now.Good Luck

Summer said...

Hooly funny Breezi.

My heart would go out to yours, but it's been flushed, and my heart doesn't like the smell down there...