Saturday, April 4, 2009

Arrival of Spring

Every winter I look forward to spring. After the holiday festivities I can almost taste spring. I love smelling the wonderful glorious flowers. Pink tulips, yellow daffodils, purple hyacinths. I love the bursts of spring green colored leaves awakening and popcorn fluffs of white blossoms popping on some of the trees. I love spring. I love being able to take my children to the park and letting them play to their hearts content. I love the newborn animals emerging. Spring is new, fresh, alive. There is so much joy.

However spring also brings much misery to me. Certain things start happening in our neighborhood that drive me crazy. You are guaranteed that along with the first glorious sunny days that loud rap music arrives in a car with dark black tinted windows with their bass on full blast, young 'thug-like' misguided teenagers (and chronically unemployed adults as well) start loitering where they shouldn't be, rusty and run down white vans start parading around the neighborhood screaming out jolly sounding melodies (some even Christmas songs) proclaiming ice cream to all children within ear shot... and they do this about 4 times daily, and litter starts 'growing' out of all of the lawns. No doubt with all of the excess misfits to society hanging around the cops will start to become a regular part of our neighborhood again. Nothing quite beats a nightlight when you have police helicopter search light.

I guess spring makes me look forward to fall again.

Cooler temperatures seem to bring on a quiet that nothing else seems to bring. I think that misguided teenagers and society misfits don't enjoy cold weather. I enjoy that.

Does the arrival of Spring also make unpleasant things arrive for you as well?

8 comments:

Marsie Pants said...

YES!!! For some reason, a neighbor likes to hang out outside and play her music at full blast out her car with all the doors wide open. I can hear the bass pounding in my kitchen. This doesn't bother me AS much now that I don't work nights and sleep during the day, but still. It's just rude. Her young kids (toddlers) are also outside in the front (and in the streets) by themselves which scares me. I prefer fall.

Michelle said...

Well then you should be excited that it is going to snow on Monday and tuesday!! maybethat will scare them away

Summer said...

We have rthe bass blasters in our neighborhood, too! Some days it goes non-stop until way late, which drives us bonkers when Zach's at home trying to study and then when we're trying to go to sleep at 11:00. I got fed up early this year- we've already called the cops twice. Makes me want to walk up to the booger-hads and stamp "INCONSIDERATE" on their foreheads in pink glittery ink that doesn't rub off for a week.

That. And allergies.

Amanda B. said...

I agree about the bass playing loudly- sooooo annoying. We have had a lot of search lights too! Crazy people....

Megan said...

Yikes... that stinks.
First off spring (if you can say we have a spring) brings us allergies! Orange blossoms and olive trees mostly.
Our city is a little different. Even though Mesa is the third largest city in Arizona it's more of a suburb of Phoenix then a proper big city. I guess its because we are so spread out around here. And if you do live in the inner most part of the city or maybe a few of the older neighborhoods, the dead heat of the summer would be when they all went in to hide.

Chell said...

Oh so sorry to hear that spring brigns out the ghetto in your neighborhood. For us it just means we hear our neighbor fighting more with his teenage son and get to smell the pot he smokes on his back porch. Oh and I get to hear my dog bark more since there are more people walking by HIS house.

The Hoogland Family said...

oh my word, we have got to get you moved to IDAHO! That is scary Breezi! I am extra sheltered I know. I also love Spring. At our house and in our neighborhood, spring means kids everywhere playing outside and Rylan coming in and out of the house slamming the screen door and "getting stuff." Then Scott and i find all sorts of things that are left outside: shirts, lightsabers, marbles, chalk, waterguns, etc. Spring also means a lot of yardwork outside to make our yard look nice...i love it though!

Melanie said...

Ok, seriously? I had to laugh. We too have the "run down white vans" playing CHRISTMAS music while selling icecream. I am known as the "only mom in the neighborhood who doesn't let her kids get icecream" and I wear that title with PRIDE.

Nothing...ok few things...annoy me more than that icecream van.